The MPECDT provides a training programme that will train a new kind of mathematician that:
- has expertise in the modelling techniques that are used to study Earth system processes,
- can take a (deterministic or stochastic) dynamical systems view of these models,
- can make statistical inferences, equipped with models and data, about the Earth system,
- can collaborate with scientists and engineers in universities and in industry who are working in the climate, oceans and weather sector, and
- can communicate her or his research to a non-specialist audience and to the wider public.
Students will acquire a broad knowledge of all of these aspects, preparing them for an impactful research career in this area. They will also develop their own mathematical specialisms that will form a foundation for their PhD research.